The value to the community of a well-conducted bowls club with proud traditions and high standards is incalculable. In its over 100 years of serving the community, the Sandringham Bowls Club has provided healthy recreation, social involvement, companionship and competition to many citizens.
The initial attempt to form a club was in 1905 but it was not successful. The project was resurrected in 1909 and an agreement was reached to form the Sandringham Bowling Club (now Sandringham Bowls Club). The first green was laid on a site belonging to the Mechanics' Institute in Abbott Street, and was opened on 5 March 1910. Membership increased rapidly and outgrew this green. A larger area was made available in the beach reserve opposite Abbott Street overlooking Port Phillip Bay. A green of eight rinks was put down and in 1921 this was open for use by the club's eighty members. Later, and in two stages, this was increased to eleven rinks. Ladies were admitted to the club in 1955 as Associates.
Environmental pressures, increasing Beach Road traffic, and difficulty in parking, made another move imperative, and in January 1975 the club transferred to the present parkland site in Tulip Street, leased from the City of Sandringham (now Bayside City Council). With protracted Herculean effort, using mainly voluntary labour of members, the clubhouse was transferred to Tulip Street and extended to its present size. The two new greens were laid by the council, subject to repayment of cost by the club over thirty years.
Since the move to Tulip Street, progress has continued. The club has maintained and improved the clubhouse and surrounds. As in the past, these were carried out by our members. One of our greens was replaced with a top grade synthetic surface, allowing play all year round. Floodlights were also constructed to allow play at night by both members and Barefoot Bowlers.
Additional information can be found in Shirley Joy's References Relating to Sandringham Bowling Club, Sandringham Croquet Club and the Mechanics’ Institute, Abbott Street, Sandringham: localhistory.kingston.vic.gov.au/htm/article/350.htm